Taleggio & Anchovy Katsu Sando
We put our latest release, Nectarine Queen, in the hands of the Katsu King (aka Oscar Solomon) for the latest edition of our Barrel Aged beer chef series. Oski is the group chef for leading establishments like Cho Cho San, Yoko Dining & Greca. In other words he has us constantly drooling...
Balancing crunchy fruit flavour and the drawn out acidity of Nectarine Queen, this naughty Tallegio & Anchovy Katsu Sando is straight up insanity on the tastebuds.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
|2 slice||Sliced white bread (thick)|
|120g||Taleggio cheese (rind on)|
|1 bunch||Shiso/perilla leaf or mint|
|100g||Panko bread crumbs|
- Place taleggio cheese in freezer for 15 min, meanwhile set up crumbing station.
- In three separate bowls, add flour, whole egg (scrambled), and panko crumbs. Add pinch of salt to flour bowl.
- To double crumb taleggio follow the following process: (1) Drop cheese into flour, coat evenly, the egg mix, the panko crumbs. (2) Repeat this process once more to “double crumb” – leave in the panko crumb and place in the fridge.
- Set up fryer by adding neutral oil to a small, deep pot and bring oil to 180 degrees (be careful with this step – duh!)
- Fry the taleggio for 2.5 mins or until golden. Place onto a paper towel or wire rack and season with flake salt.
- Finely chop parsley, dill and place into a bowl, zest a lemon into the same bowl. Add kewpie, ¼ lemon juice, salt, pepper and a small splash of sesame oil or olive oil – taste for seasoning.
- With the remaining herbs, pick and add into a bowl. Dress lightly with olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
- Slice the bread at double the thickness of standard slice white bread, removing crust.
To the bottom slice of bread, put half mayonnaise mixture and spread evenly
Add the herb salad, then gently place the fried cheese on top of the herb salad.
Add anchovies over the top of the fried cheese, then dress with the remaining mayonnaise mixture. Add chilli if you want here.
Place the last slice of bread on top and skewer the sandwich to keep it stable.
Add a pickled chilli to the top of the sandwich to garnish.
Slice sandwich in half and watch the melted taleggio cheese ooze out of your sandwich.
Finally, post to the gram and watch those DM’s light up!SHOP NECTARINE QUEEN